Daily Brief: 2017.1.6

THREAT ANALYSIS

Meta-analysis confirms Zika link to Guillain-Barre Syndrome

According to a recently released study, sufficient evidence now exists to conclude that the mosquito-borne Zika virus triggers Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS). The study, published in the journal PLOS Medicine, reviewed all Zika literature published on or before May 30, 2016. In total, a panel of experts assessed evidence of causality in 36 studies that looked at Zika and GBS.
(Sources: CIDRAPThe ScientistScience Daily)  

As a reminder, Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) is a disorder in which the body's immune system attacks part of the peripheral nervous system. Weakness and tingling sensations in the legs and arms are usually the first symptoms GBS. These symptoms can last a few weeks or several months. Most people fully recover from GBS, though some people have permanent damage.  Death from GBS is very rare.
(Sources: Mayo ClinicNational Institute of Neurological DisordersCDC)

In total, 4,619 travel-associated cases of Zika virus have been documented in the United States. Of those cases, the majority, 989 (21.4%), were documented in New York. 51 (1.1%) cases were reported in Indiana. A further 216 locally acquired cases were also confirmed, 210 (97%) of which were documented in Florida. The remaining 6 (3%) cases were confirmed in Texas.
(Sources: CDC)

ACTION STEPS

  1. If you are planning on vacationing, please review the CDC’s Zika Travel Notice page
  2. Use Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered insect repellents. When used as directed, EPA-registered insect repellents are proven safe and effective, even for pregnant and breastfeeding women. 
    (Source: CDC)
  3. If you live in a state or area with the mosquito that spreads the Zika virus and you are concerned about Zika, learn how to build your own Zika Prevention Kit.
    (Sources: CDC)
Stefanie SullivanComment