Daily Brief: 2017.2.15

THREAT ANALYSIS

Carbon Monoxide leak leads to evacuation

Passengers were reportedly evacuated from Logan Airport in Boston, due to a carbon monoxide leak late Sunday afternoon. The Massachusetts State Police reports the leaking carbon monoxide apparently came from a snow melting machine. Logan Airport has since reported that the terminal was vented and has returned to normal operations.
(Sources: CBS LocalABC News)

Carbon monoxide is produced any time a fossil fuel is burned. CO is an odorless, colorless gas, which can cause sudden illness and death. The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. According to the CDC, between 1999 and 2010, 5,149 people died from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning, an average of 430 deaths per year.
(Source: CDC)

Between 1999 and 2010, the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) documented a total of 5,149 deaths from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning in the United States. The average annual death rates were highest among those aged ≥65 years for males and females. The rates were the lowest for males and females aged <25 years.
(Sources: CDC)

ACTION STEPS

  1. Install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.
  2. Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  3. Never run your car or truck inside a garage that is attached to a house even with the garage door open. 
    (Source: CDC)
Stefanie SullivanComment