Daily Brief: 2017.4.7


Carbon Monoxide kills 1 hospitalizes and 14 others

A 13-year-old boy died and 14 other people were hospitalized after guests at a southern Michigan hotel were found unconscious around an indoor pool. Fire officials reportedly stated that they believed the cause was carbon monoxide poisoning. Of the 14-people hospitalized, eight children were taken to Memorial Hospital in South Bend, Indiana.
(Sources: CNNFox Detroit)

Carbon monoxide is produced any time a fossil fuel is burned. CO is an odorless, colorless gas, which can cause sudden illness and death. The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. According to the CDC, between 1999 and 2010, 5,149 people died from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning, an average of 430 deaths per year.
(Source: CDC)

Between 1999 and 2010, the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) documented a total of 5,149 deaths from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning in the United States. The average annual death rates were highest among those aged ≥65 years for males and females. The rates were the lowest for males and females aged <25 years.
(Sources: CDC)


  1. Install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.
  2. Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  3. Never run your car or truck inside a garage that is attached to a house even with the garage door open. 
    (Source: CDC)